History and Information
The Midlothian Fire Department was originally organized in 1906 and proudly protects over 37,000 people living in a response area of 115 square miles. We are a public fire department and currently operate out of three fire stations. The Midlothian Fire Department has progressed from all-volunteer to combination to all-career and currently consists of 56 members. 51 career firefighters are assigned to three 24 hour shifts consisting of a Battalion Chief, three Captains, three Driver/Engineers and ten Firefighter/Paramedics. All operations personnel are paramedics. Fire Administration consists of a Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief, Fire Marshal, EMS Battalion Chief and an Administrative Assistant. Our apparatus fleet consists of three MICU ambulances, three paramedic engine companies, one 100’ aerial platform truck, three brush trucks, a light/air utility truck and four command vehicles. Our fully restored 1918 Model T Ford/Howe antique fire truck is housed at our Fire Administration Building.
The Midlothian Fire Department responds to over 3,500 calls annually in a 115 square mile total response area that includes the 55 square mile City of Midlothian, with a rapidly growing population of over 25,000 citizens, and Ellis County Emergency Services District #2 (ESD#2). ESD#2 includes the 60 square mile unincorporated area surrounding Midlothian and has a population of approximately 12,000 citizens. We protect a primarily residential area, but our response area also includes: 16 apartment complexes, three cement manufacturing plants, a steel manufacturing mill, an LNG manufacturing facility, an electrical generation plant, four large high-rack distribution warehouses, several large box stores, a two-story conference/convention center, a four story hotel, a college campus, two public water treatment plants, two major state highways (hurricane evacuation routes), two railroads, two natural gas transmission pipelines, two petroleum pipelines, a hazardous chemical tank farm, a foreign trade zone, many acres of wildland, and the only airport in Ellis County accommodating commercial aircraft. We give and receive Mutual-Aid to and from the surrounding cities as a member of the regional response group Ellis Dallas Unified Cooperative Team (E.D.U.C.T.). We also provide MICU ambulance service, by contract, to the 3,600 residents of the City of Ovilla. Our EMS personnel operate under the Medical Direction of Dr. Ketan Trivedi at Medical Center Methodist Mansfield. The City of Midlothian is located approximately 25 miles south of Dallas, Texas in Ellis County. The Midlothian Fire Department has an ISO Protection Class of “2.”