It is the responsibility and honor of the City Secretary's Office to conduct and oversee the City Council election process for the City of Midlothian. Elections are conducted annually on the Uniform Election Day in May (the first Saturday in May.)
However, Texas Election laws regarding campaign finances and legal matters limit the role of the City Secretary’s Office to accepting and filing the various candidate applications, affidavits and statements and noting the date of filing.
The required election forms and instruction guides are provided on this site for your convenience. Please note that all election records and campaign reports are considered Open Records and will be viewed as such by newspaper/media reporters and opponents.
Political Sign Information
TXDOT Rules on Campaign Signs
Please, do not hesitate to call or visit the City Secretary's Office if you are in need of assistance. After-hour appointments are available if necessary.
Reporting, Contributions & Expenditures
Questions regarding reporting procedures, contributions and expenditures are to be directed to the Texas Ethics Commission at (512) 463-5800 or (800) 325-8506
Questions regarding election law are to be directed to the Secretary of State at (512) 463-5650 or (800) 252-8683
The City of Midlothian contracts with the Ellis County Elections Administrator for election services. Our elections are held countywide with vote centers allowing voters to cast their ballots at any voting location in the county. Ellis County Elections website
Mayor and Council Qualifications (as specified in the Home Rule Charter)
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a qualified voter of the State of Texas.
- Must have resided at least six (6) months next preceding the election within the corporate limits of the City of Midlothian.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must not be in arrears in payment of taxes or other liabilities due the City of Midlothian.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony.
- Must not be disqualified by reason of any provision of any other section of this Charter.