According to the National Weather Service, winter precipitation will end from west to east Thursday. Very cold temperatures with many locations remaining below freezing until Saturday afternoon. Partial clearing and some melting will occur Friday afternoon, but the main thaw will occur Saturday. Roads continue to be icy and very slippery.
Here are the forecast and other important storm-related details.
SOLID WASTE SERVICES
Waste Connections, the City's solid waste disposal provider, has informed the City that due to icy road conditions, solid waste pickup will be suspended Thursday and Friday. Thursday trash pickup will be combined with Monday trash pickup and Friday trash pickup will be combined with Tuesday trash pickup. Regular pickup schedule will resume next week.
WINTER STORM UPDATE
A Hard Freeze Warning is in effect from midnight until 9 a.m. Saturday. Temperatures will fall between 5 and 15 degrees which may impact unprotected plumbing. Take steps now to protect not only plumbing, but also people and pets from the bitterly cold temperatures expected.
Frozen precipitation has started to melt due to above freezing temperatures this afternoon, but will quickly refreeze during tonight's hard freeze. Any liquid on the roads can cause dangerous road conditions overnight into the morning hours.
- Travel could be very difficult.
Hilco Electric Cooperative customers may report an outage at https://hilco.coop/ or by calling (254) 687-2331 or (800) 338-6425.
All others may report outages to Oncor and check for updates at the Oncor Storm Center website at Oncor – Outage Map or call (888) 313-4747 or text OUT to 66267.
For ERCOT updates, visit https://www.ercot.com/
- Cold wind chills could result in hypothermia if precautions are not taken.
- Damage to uninsulated and/or exposed pipes.
PRECAUTIONARY & PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS
- FM 663 from FM 875
- FM 1387 from FM 664
- Bus 287 from US 287 bypass/Old Ft Worth Rd Intersection
- City of Midlothian street crews are pre-treating city bridges listed here.
- Midlothian Parkway Bridge
- 8th Street Bridge (8th Street bridge closed as of 2/3, 8:30 a.m. Use 9th Street as alternate route.)
- Walter Stephenson Bridge (Walter Stephenson bridge closed as of 2/4, 1 p.m.)
All restrooms at City parks are closed till Monday, February 7, 2022.
- For road closure Information visit:
How to prevent pipes from freezing:
- Letting faucets drip or stream slightly can help prevent damage.
- Open cabinet doors beneath sinks so room temperature air can warm the pipes.
- Make sure your heat is on, even overnight.
- Cover outdoor faucets.
- Frost on pipes could mean they are frozen.
Know how to shut off your water.
Cut off your water as soon as you suspect you have a leaking or broken pipe. If you have a city meter box, water may only be shut off by a city employee.
City of Midlothian water customers may report an emergency main break or broken service line 24 hours a day by calling (972) 775-3333.
Prepare an emergency kit.
- Drinking water and food
- Blankets, pillows, and clothing
- Basic first-aid supplies
- Basic toiletries
- Battery-operated radio
- Extra supply of batteries
- Cell phone with chargers
- Cash and credit cards
- Basic tools (duct tape, wrench, etc.)
- Important documents and numbers
- Toys, books, and games
- Baby supplies
- Pet supplies
Follow the link below for more information about winter weather preparedness.